Monday, September 1, 2014

[Con] Dragon Con 2014 - Sunday

Couldn't go to the con this year, but I had a lot of fun.

Pros: As far as the con itself was concerned, little changes they have made to the building arrangements has made traffic flow much more smoothly.  Lines were well maintained.  Technical problems were minimal.  Most of the tracks in the program seemed relevant (ie a much needed consolidation had occurred).  All of the events I went to had enough space, and even in events where they had to turn the audience away, tiny events were in tiny rooms and well attended events were in larger rooms. 

I went to the puppetry slam for the first time this year and HOLY @##@$@#$.  This has now replaced the masquerade for me as the must see event of the year.  It is FANTASTIC.  The other panels were informative and I enjoyed them quite a bit.

And a shout out to the absolutely amazing Dragon Con volunteers who tirelessly and mostly invisibly make the whole thing work well.

Cons: Only a few.  The Masquerade was in SORE need of troopers to move some morons off the stage.  If I can afford it, next year we're likely just buying the video so we can still see it but just fast forward past the crap.  And the dealers room is AWFUL.  Last year I heard all kinds of complaints about how crowded it was.  I never got that far. The entire entrance to the place is crowded and having to get into a ten minute line to GET INTO THE DEALERS ROOM is insane.  I understand the lack of space downtown.  Here's the thing.  They would literally be better off taking one of the hotel parking lots and having the dealer's room be in THAT instead of the God Awful Americas Mart.

No comments:

Post a Comment